|

|

Saturday 4 April 2009

Who's beat, my beat, your beat... What!?!

(The cadence of that title could be a lil nursery rhyme couldn't it? Look at me.. sidelining before I even get started)

There's a lil fashion trend it seems... upsurge of beat-makers calling out other Producers, saying their ideas have been stolen!!

Now, I could have said the same thing... when I did a repro of Cameo's Candy for a song I did, 3 lil months before Mariah did hers (MC of all peepls!), or when Mario's You Should Let Me Love You used the SAME drum pattern as my joint The Beach - the SAME (hats, pattern, sounds - everything, VERBATIM) so even I had my theories. Call me naive, but I put it down to the fact I must have my finger on the pulse of good ideas, what's popular and good production baby. Suspicions and assumptions aside.

So I figured, this must happen a lot, right???

That's why I got a lot of respect for both Just Blaze and Black Spade who both recently took time out, sat and broke down to pieces, how they crafted and constructed the songs they were both respectively named for 'copying'. Both cats have been very gracious in what to me, seems to be a pretty obviously coincidence (and possibly a mild case of a condition I call claimabeatitis...) but that's just my humble opinion... either way, both vids are patience personified!



All The Above - Brief History from justin smith on Vimeo.


No comments: