|

|

Friday 26 June 2009

Michael Jackson

I won't catalogue all his records in a discography. I won't attempt to have some kind of flair-ridden literary summary of his life's work and mishaps like that music magazine director on the TV news coverage tonight. I don't need to. We all know. And that says a lot in itself.

Writing this though, at 4am, I am in a state of shock.

Looking at Michael Jackson's life makes me realise that all his troubles were for a reason. A bigger, BIG picture. Look how many lives he touched... it's mind-boggling. He was one of the biggest stars ever. It's almost as though he couldn't have avoided going through all his pain in order to do that.

So no. Instead, I'm going to talk about how Michael Jackson's music, not made, but makes me feel:

Inspired
Aspirational
Wonderment
Entertained
Touched
Happy
Reflective
Lively
Passionate

Motivated
Peaceful
Understood
Love

Is there another artist in the whole world that has been able to evoke every one of those emotions from and to a genuine place? AND transcend that common message to all groups of people?? Less than the fingers on my right hand.

But God aligned the stars for Michael Jackson's purpose before he ever had a clue what it was. A tribute to his life and the talent he showed cannot stop at him alone, as it was also those who inspired, drove and shaped him to be (what I wrote my first Mute Diary Blog in six months about today..) the best that he could be.

In achieving that, to millions he became the best entertainer there'd been.

I have seen him my whole life. And I am a fan. Today, a sad one. And it's the very presence of someone like Michael that ever gave me the the desire to try my best, and gave me the ability and width of vision to be able to ever look beyond the stars, performing musical and historically boundary breaking events in ways the world had never seen before, and will never see again.

He strived for excellence, and held it til the end. I remain bemusedly envious, awe-striken and compelled to do the same.

Next month, I am excited and humbled to be performing with the musical master that is Leon Ware at the Jazz Cafe in London, July 16. Mr Ware wrote MJ's angelically vocalled "Wanna Be Where You Are" back in the early 70's. I pray we get to perform it - I would be so deeply honoured.

Tomorrow, a day after Michael Jackson's death, I will don white socks over black trousers, without shame.


This is as close as I ever got to meeting Michael - two of his very dear friends, Quincy Jones and Chris Tucker. And my excitement at meeting Quincy, was majorly due to the work he achieved with Michael. (I remember being an obsessed kid, waring out my tape of 'The Making of Thriller' - listening to John Landis talk about their relationship and work ethics.) My prayers go out to all his family and friends.

Mine is just one of the many countless lives he touched and inspired. I am unreservedly thankful, and I feel privileged to have been part of a generation that witnessed the phenomenon, greatness and sweetness, that was Michael Jackson.

Rest In Peace

No comments: